Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sarcasm: Yea or Nay?

As the title suggests, the question was brought up in class this week (as we were discussing effective and non-effective communication) of whether or not sarcasm is a bad thing and, if not, if it can be used as a good thing. I started thinking about my own family and how often sarcasm is used, and what it is used for within my nuclear family's communication. The stand that I'm going to take on this one is that sarcasm, while most often destructive, can also be constructive.

Let me start out by saying that my mom hates sarcasm. She believes it is, and I quote, "just an excuse to be mean." And, frankly, it is. But conflict and arguments can be used in a positive way, and so can sarcasm. Let me explain.

Lauer and Lauer (2012) say that there are appropriate times to use "destructive" messages when communicating. Sarcasm, because of its double meaning and teasing nature, is a destructive message, but like all the other destructive messages, it has its time and place. "But if [it] become[s] part of a style of communication or of they are used too frequently or at inappropriate times, they impede effective communication and corrode the relationship." The trick is to balance it with constructive messages. 

Sarcasm and teasing can also help strengthen the bonds in family relationships. For me, there's something about the fact that someone feels close enough to tease me that makes me feel close in return. I think it has to do with the fact that they feel comfortable enough withdrawing from my emotional bank account. Stephen Covey developed the idea of an EBA (or Emotional Bank Account) into which people could deposit or from which they withdraw, building or harming relationships, respectively. The idea is to make 5 deposits for every 1 withdraw. Also, it's important to know what are withdraws and what are deposits for different people, because they are both subjective. 

Applying the EBA to sarcasm, it's important to make sure our constructive messages are much greater than our destructive messages, and that we make sure teasing and sarcasm are deposits, not withdraws, before we practice them. It's also important to not become addicted to sarcasm, so that when we are in a situation when it would not be wise to use it, we can stop ourselves.

I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions on this. What  do you think about sarcasm. Try to convince me that I'm wrong. I'm really interested in the arguments you guys can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment